Take Action

Donate button

This Donate button will take you to the Olympic Peninsula Protection Fund, set up by the Olympic Forest Coalition on behalf of the West Coast Action Alliance, to help with research, outreach and legal assistance in stopping the militarization of the Olympic Peninsula.

What can one person do?

If you are disturbed by jet noise, there are several options:  The Navy has a Noise Complaint Hotline at:  360-257-6665.  The problem is, they require callers’ names and addresses. If you don’t like the idea of providing your personal information while making a complaint about jet noise to what is far too often just a recording, then you can email them at:   comments.NASWI@navy.mil.  However, that email address sounds like the comment equivalent of the General Treasury, so try calling and copying the Public Affairs Office at Whidbey Island:

Mike Welding, Public Affairs Officer

(360) 257-2286   FAX (360) 257-3972

E-mail: whdb_naswi_pao@navy.mil

A former Navy pilot has advised: “If you hear a jet with a sense of ‘presence,’ unlike a passenger jet flying at 25 – 35,000 feet, the jet you hear is likely flying at lower altitudes of between 2000 and 4000 feet. The next time you hear a jet, please do 2 things: 1) realize it just entered your consciousness, and 2) call or email the Navy.  The Navy says jet noise is not bad in surrounding communities because they never get any calls on their complaint line.

Citizens of Ebey’s Reserve has a noise hotline manned by citizens who do not ask for private information:  1-800-830-4078.  You can call to register your complaints day or night, secure that you will talk to a real person who will document your issue and make sure it gets to the Navy.

If you are in the San Juan Islands, you can register your complaint (and read others) here:  http://sjcgis.org/aircraft-noise-reporting/

And while you’re at it…


MARIA CANTWELL: 202-224-3441. PATTY MURRAY: 202-224-2621.



What else can one person do?

Become informed, participate, talk to others about it, share information with others, and make your voice heard. Contact a member group listed in the Alliance, and volunteer to help. Write comments during official comment periods, write letters to editors, call and write to elected representatives, attend their public meetings and ask questions. Demand answers from the people you’ve elected. Don’t just say “I object…” Explain why, and then say what you think needs to be done, and why. Ask for a reply or you may not get one.

Overview of the Olympic Peninsula, the San Juan and Canadian Gulf Islands, Canada’s Vancouver Island, and the western part of mainland Washington and Canada. The Salish Sea encompasses the inland waters to the east of the Pacific Ocean.


Public participation is the involvement of people in decision-making processes that interest or affect them, and we have the power to make our government more open, ethical and transparent, because according to the Constitution WE are still the ones who elect the representatives, pay for their activities, and drive the agendas that run the country. We have the right to speak out without intimidation and to contribute our ideas for making things better for our communities – or to stop damage to them. If we stop believing in that power and give in to a rising tide of cynicism, then we will have given up and abdicated our tremendous collective power to change the status quo.

Birdcam-Tufted puffin landing

THIS is what takeoffs and landings should look like around here. Credit: USFWS Bird-cam; Tufted puffin returns to its nest-burrow to feed its young.


Who owns the air?  How shall we treat our neighbors? A thoughtful essay at the Noise Pollution Clearinghouse talks about noise, sovereignty and civility.

There is a legal principle called the Public Trust Doctrine, which is derived from ancient common law saying that certain resources are preserved for public use, and that the government is required to maintain them for the public’s reasonable use. Everyone should become familiar with what it means to have our air, lands and waters in public trust. There are also laws such as the National Environmental Policy Act, or NEPA, for which a citizen’s guide can be found here. The National Forest Management Act, Endangered Species Act, Marine Mammal Protection Act, and other federal statutes have citizen summaries that can be found with a Google search. In addition, there is the Government in the Sunshine Act, and in the State of Washington we have one of the strongest open government laws in the nation. Becoming familiar with these, or forming a group where each person takes on the learning about one aspect, will help you understand the often daunting documents produced by agencies. It’s work, yes, but that leads to the obvious question: are we active citizens or are we passive consumers?

Following is a list of elected and appointed officials to whom letters from citizens would be helpful. 

Congressional District 6:

Encompasses the Olympic Peninsula, most of the Kitsap Peninsula, and most of the city of Tacoma.

1429 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
DC: 202-225-5916
Port Angeles: 360-797-3623
Tacoma: 253-272-3515
Bremerton: 360-373-9735
Email: https://kilmer.house.gov/contact/email-me

Congressional District 2:

Includes all of Island and San Juan counties and neighboring areas on the mainland from Bellingham in the north to Lynnwood in the south.

2113 Rayburn House Office Building Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-2605
Fax: (202) 225-4420
Email: https://larsen.house.gov/contact-rick/email-rick

Our Senators:

311 Hart Senate Office Bldg, Washington DC 20510
Phone: 202-224-3441
FAX: 202-228-0514
DC: 202-224-3441
Olympic Peninsula (Tacoma): 253-572-2281
King Co: 206-220-6400
Pierce/Thurston/Kitsap: 253-572-2281
NW (Everett): 425-303-0114
SW (Vancouver):    360-696-7838
Central (Richland): 509-946-8106
Chelan/Douglas Co: 509-946-8106
Okanogan Co: 509-353-2507
E WA(Spokane): 509-353-2507
SE (Richland): 509-353-2507
Email: http://www.cantwell.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/email-maria

154 Russell Office Senate Bldg, Washington DC 20510
Phone: (202) 224-2621
FAX (202) 224-0238
DC: 866-481-9186 (toll free)
Seattle: 866-481-9186 (toll free)
Tacoma: 253-572-3636
Everett: 425-259-6515
Yakima: 509-453-7462
Spokane: 509-624-9515
Vancouver: 360-696-7797
Email: http://www.murray.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contactme

Secretary of the Navy:

Honorable Richard V. Spencer, Secretary of the Navy
2000 Navy Pentagon
Washington, D.C. 20350-2000

Our Washington State Government:

P O Box 40002, Olympia WA 98504-0002
Phone: 360-902-4111
FAX: 360-753-4110

 STATE LEGISLATORS:  (Find your district here.)

24th District, State House of Representatives:
Includes Clallam and Jefferson Counties and part of Grays Harbor County including Port Angeles, Sequim, Port Townsend, Forks, Ocean Shores, Hoquiam and McCleary.


132B Legislative Building
PO Box 40600
Olympia, WA 98504
(360) 786 – 7916


368 John L. O’Brien Building
PO Box 40600, Olympia, WA 98504
(360) 786 – 7904

24th District, State Senate:


212 John A. Cherberg Building
PO Box 40424
Olympia, WA 98504
(360) 786 – 7646

35th District, State House of Representatives: Includes Mason County and portions of Kitsap and Thurston counties.


410 John L. O’Brien Building
PO Box 40600
Olympia, WA 98504
(360) 786 – 7966



434 John L. O’Brien Building
PO Box 40600
Olympia, WA 98504
(360) 786 – 7902


35th District, State Senate: 


312 Legislative Building
PO Box 40435
Olympia, WA 98504
(360) 786 – 7668
Fax: (360) 786 – 1999


40th District, State House of Representatives:  Includes Whatcom, Skagit and San Juan Counties; Anacortes, Burlington and part of Bellingham and Mount Vernon.


429A Legislative Building
PO Box 40600
Olympia, WA 98504
(360) 786 – 7800


436A Legislative Building
PO Box 40600
Olympia, WA 98504
(360) 786 – 7970

40th District, State Senate:


215 John A. Cherberg Building
PO Box 40440
Olympia, WA 98504
(360) 786 – 7678                                                                                                                            kevin.ranker@leg.wa.gov


Email addresses for all Washington State Senators are here.

Contact information for all WA State Representatives is here.